Growing into a New Season
Over the last 9 years, we’ve learned that organizations grow a lot like plants – with great patience and intention, a steady supply of nourishment, and a bit of hope the conditions will be favorable.
As we kick off our 2022 Year-End Campaign, we are mindful of the ways donor support has nourished our growth and we hope you’ll join us, once again, in supporting the Savanna Institute’s work to make agriculture a climate solution that strengthens farms and communities.
With your help over the past year:
- We put down roots across 4 farms in Spring Green, WI – building the beginnings of a campus that will help us advance agroforestry and build community while continuing to welcome folks to our demonstration farms across Wisconsin and Illinois
- We’ve partnered with over 60 farmers and landowners, with plans to convert over 3,000 acres to agroforestry
- We launched Canopy Farm Management, a farmland management business and tree crop nursery that planted almost 100,000 trees in just its first year of operation
- We convened a network of leaders from across North America to scale up agroforestry through collaborative action in key areas like market development, landholder assistance, and farm policy.
- We’ve grown from one full time staff member in 2017, to 30 full time staff just 5 years later!
We’re confident this is just the beginning of our story, and we’re so grateful for your part in it. As we approach our 10 year anniversary in 2023, we’re excited to see what’s in store for us in the season ahead, but we know we can’t do it alone.
More from Perennial AF
Nate Lawrence and Monika Shea from the Savanna Institute’s research department dig into the details of agroforestry for climate change mitigation.
The Innovative Practices for Soil Health Act seeks to make needed improvements to United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) conservation programs, as well as designate four national and regional agroforestry centers, to ensure these programs can be useful for farmers who want to incorporate perennial systems or agroforestry into their operations.
Just like the multi-species, interconnected farming systems we champion, you and thousands of others in our community are working together to create a more hopeful future. Thanks to our supporters, the Savanna Institute has put down roots and is doing more than we...